LBS Tech
LBS Tech, Ford Auto Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tecnician,ASE Master Tech and L1 Certified, Ford Certified Diesel Tech
1671924

timing marks diagram 2000 ford ranger 2.5

Customer Question

I would like to know the marks to set correct timing after replacing belt on 2000 Ranger 2.5 4 cyl .Bought manual at store does not show it .
Category: Ford
Expert:  LBS Tech replied 8 years ago.
Here are the instructions for you

Removal

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301).

1. Remove the exhaust side spark plugs (12405). For additional information, refer to Section 303-07A.

1. Remove the outer timing belt cover. For additional information, refer to Timing Drive Components—Outer Cover in this section.

1. Remove the crankshaft pulley (6312).

• Remove the bolt.

• Remove the crankshaft pulley.

1. Rotate the crankshaft (6303) until the number 1 piston is at top dead center (TDC).

1. CAUTION: If you attempt to remove the belt without loosening both timing belt tensioner adjusting bolt and spring pivot bolt, damage to Camshaft Belt Tensioner Tool could occur when attempting to relieve belt tension.

1. Loosen the timing belt spring pivot bolt. Do not remove.

1. Loosen the adjusting bolt slowly and release spring tension.

1. Rotate tensioner with adjusting tool, against spring pressure, clockwise to the farthest position.

1. Hold in this position and tighten adjusting bolt to hold tensioner away from the belt.

1. Remove the timing chain/belt (6268).

Installation

1. Make sure the crankshaft is at TDC on piston No. 1, with the crankshaft keyway pointing straight up and the circle on crankshaft sprocket aligned with notch in engine front cover (6019).

1. Align the timing marks.

• Align the crankshaft sprocket mark to the front cover notch.

• Align the oil pump sprocket diamond to the engine front cover diamond.

• Align the camshaft sprocket triangle to the engine front cover triangle.

1. Install the timing chain/belt over the crankshaft sprocket (6306), proceeding counterclockwise over the oil pump sprocket and over the camshaft sprocket.

1. Loosen the bolt allowing the tensioner pulley to press against the timing chain/belt.

1. NOTE: The timing belt tensioner must not be tightened or belt tension will not be distributed over the entire belt.

Rotate the crankshaft two revolutions clockwise. Bring crank slowly to number one position firing position (keyway on crank facing up). The dot on the crankshaft gear is aligned with the notch on the front cover.

1. Recheck timing mark alignment. Repeat if required.

1. Tighten the bolts.

1. Install the crankshaft pulley.

1. Tighten the bolt.

1. Install the outer timing belt cover.

• Tighten the bolt.

1. Install the exhaust side spark plugs. For additional information, refer to Section 303-07A.

Expert:  LBS Tech replied 8 years ago.
Sorry pics didn't come through first time

Removal

1. Remove the exhaust side spark plugs.

1. Remove the outer timing belt cover.

1. Remove the crankshaft pulley (6312).

• Remove the bolt.

• Remove the crankshaft pulley.

1. Remove the timing chain/belt (6268).

Installation

1. Align the timing marks.

1. Tighten the bolts.

1. Install the crankshaft pulley.

1. Tighten the bolt.

1. Install the outer timing belt cover.

• Tighten the bolt.

1. Install the exhaust side spark plugs. .