Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
577462

my automatic 2000 ford taurus wont shift out of park.

Customer Question

my automatic 2000 ford taurus won't shift out of park. the engine will start and the steering wheel is not locked but it won't let me shift. help, i'm stranded
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 10 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

You might not have brake lights. If so, this is your problem.

A way to bypass this is to turn the key to the first notch and then put the shifter into neutral, and then start it and then drive.

Most of the time it s the brake switch on the brake pedal.

Thanks

Fordanswerman

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Fordanswerman's Post: Is there a shift lock on these cars that we can use to get it to shift? It still won't shift when the key is at the first notch.

Thanks

Yes there is a shift lock. So by going to the position before the run position, you still cannot pull it to neutral?

Thanks

Fordanswerman

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Fordanswerman's Post: So we got it shifted and we have no brake lights. What do we need to do to fix that?

Thanks.

You will need to check for power at the brake switch on the brake pedal. One wire should have 12 volts and both should have 12 volts when pressed. If you don't have any power, then look for a blown fuse.

If you will give me the VIN#, I think there might be a recall on the brake switch.

But you did get it started and can drive it, correct?

Thanks

Fordanswerman

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Fordanswerman's Post: Thanks so much. Yes, they can drive it. I sold the car and they were out of town when this happened. The vin # XXXXX XXXXX Is the stop lamp switch what you are talking about?

Thanks

Yes the vin you gave me has an open recall 04s12, which replaces the switch and some wiring for free.

Thanks for the accept! And TIP!

Fordanswerman

Please leave positive feedback for I will too!