HITECH526, technician
Experience:  9 years experience

1999 ford ranger: top end..the drivers side..cracked..knocking noise

Customer Question

I have a 1999 ford ranger. I replaced the top end on the drivers side because of a blown head gasket and cracked head. It seems to run find but there is a knocking noise. It gets worse with acceleration. I tried to identify where the noise is coming from by pulling the spark plug wire while running (I learned you should never do this after washing the engine compartment :) However....I thought i found the right one...then did it with more of the wires and find that the noise goes away no matter what wire i pull. Could it be the spark plugs making this noise or the coil??
Category: Ford
Expert:  HITECH526 replied 10 years ago.
Is the noise you hear sound like a deep knock or a loud tap. Are you sure that all of the rocker arms shaft bolts are tightened down.