Marc, Technician, Auto, Diesel
Experience:  32 years exp. Automotive repairs on Ford cars and trucks

Have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. Yesterday the power windows ...

Have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. Yesterday the power windows stopped working. Not just one window but all the windows. The switches in the arm rest do nothing. At first I assumed a fuse had blown. The fuse box is in the engine compartment, drivers side. Checked the owners manual to see which fuse was for the window and did not see anything listed.

I checked all the smaller fuses and they test okay, have not checked the other fuses.

Any advice would be appreciated. Email [email protected]

1. Check for power on the Light Blue/Black (LB/BK) wire at the master window switch.

2. Check for a good ground to the master window switch on the Black (BK) wire. This wire provides the ground circuit for all of the window motors.

If both of these are good you probably have a bad master switch(drivers master switch).

The Light Blue/Black (LB/BK) wire gets its power supply from the accessory delay relay in the Central Junction Box (CJB) located under the instrument panel. The Generic Electronic Module (GEM) controls activation of the accessory delay relay. Fuse 2.17 is a 15 amp fuse in the CJB which supplies power to the relay. Fuse F1.6 is a 60 amp fuse in Battery Junction Box (BJB) which also supplies power to the accessory delay relay. G400(ground) is located at the driver side rear of the vehicle near the tail light assembly. This connection provides a ground for the master window switch.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: Marc - How do I remove the cover on the arm rest to access the master switch on the drivers side?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: Marc,

After checking everything again I think it's probably the master switch. Ordered one from the local Ford Dealer but it won't be in until Tuesday. It is a somewhat pricey little item, not just one switch but the whole multi switch unit. Once I figure out how to get the armrest off the door and replace the unit I should be good to go. If it still does not work then it's something beyond my skill level and a trip to the dealer may be needed.