Fordster, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified as an L1 Master Technician with extensive experience in Ford products

94 Ford Ranger: my brake lights..I checked my bulbs and then the fuse

Customer Question

I have a 94 Ford Ranger and my brake lights dont work. I checked my bulbs and then the fuse and all is good. I think the problem is w/ the "switch" that is connected to the brake pedal that turns the lights on and off when you press your brake pedal. Its as if there is no spring to move it when you push the brake pedal. What is this "switch" called? and do you have any suggestions on fixing it? I'm grateful for any suggestions you have. Thank you
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordster replied 10 years ago.
That's called the "brake light switch". To test it you will need a 12v testlight. You should have power all the time on the Lt green with red wire and power only when the brake is applied on the Lt Green only wire. If neither have power, check the 15A fuse in the fuse box for the brake lights. If you have power coming into the swiitch and not going out, the switch is bad. There is a pin and lock clip holding it in.