Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

Is the torque converter part of the transmission assembly?

Customer Question

is the torque converter part of the transmission assembly?
JA: Do you have the torque specs?
Customer: no
JA: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?
Customer: 2003 aviator 5R55S trans
JA: Are you fixing your Aviator yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no dad the torque converter replaced 2yrs ago. getting the same trans message again
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's why I'm here don't know what ?? to be asking
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Ronnie replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
these are codes ive retrieved if it helps-----p0740 p0758 p0763 p0645 p0733
Expert:  Ronnie replied 5 months ago.

No, the torgue converter is not part of the transmission assembly, its a separate component that mounts to the front of the transmission to drive the input shaft and front pump in the transmission. These codes are not usually set doe to a failing converter.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
converter was replaced two yrs ago--- so does this sound like a relay or trans problem?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 5 months ago.

What type of problem are you having? Please explain.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
slight slippage every once in a while. ck transmission message . and the codes. cked fluid and was full. when torque converter was replaced , the pump regulator valve , fluid and filter were also replaced.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 5 months ago.

The code that stands out that could very well be your problem is the code P0740 and the most common cause for this code to set is usually a bad Transmission Shift Solenoid Pack. That being said, before you consider replacing it there is some testing that should be done to verify if in fact that is the case. Are you able to do this testing if I send you the steps?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no probably not. but thankx for the info. at least ill know the first step to have tested will be.thankx
jack
Expert:  Ronnie replied 5 months ago.

Okay well just in case you have someone who can help you with this I have sent the steps as well as the replacement steps for the shift pack. See them in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Shift%20pack%20Jan%205.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/SOl%20pack%20Jan%205.pdf

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.