Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Air suspension is down on drivers side and will not inflate.

Customer Question

Air suspension is down on drivers side and will not inflate. air suspension on passenger side fully inflated will not deflate. Tried checking fuse it was ok. Turned off air system at on/off switch did not work. tried turning engine off and on did nothing. Let car sit over night nothing changed.
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: no only checked the one that showed where air suspension fuse was ( inside car passenger side floor on right side kick panel.
JA: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?
Customer: 2006 Lincoln navigator ultimate package
JA: Are you fixing your Navigator yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: want to id problem before I do anything.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What happens is the drivers side front air shock has leaked out due to a leak.This causes the others to act up like this here as they try and compensate for the leak.Most likely you have a failed air shock needing replaced on the drivers side.This is most common.

The fault codes will need checked with a compatible scan tool that can read all computers.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed and repaired.The air shock will need tested for leaks which involves soapy water in most cases and if leaking replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you are saying driverside front air bag shock is broke?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
why does the passenger side air suspension still stay inflated?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

The air shock can leak down and cause this issue here.This is why it is sitting so low.The others will pump up to max or stay at their level until the fault is repaired and the codes are cleared out after the repair.Most suspension systems go into a default mode/operation when an issue is found like this here.This does sound like the front drivers side if this is the side that is lowest.I have run across this several times before.The others stay inflated to try and compensate or due to the valve block not releasing the air from the other shocks due to the fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can I deflate the passenger side in order to drive the vehicle, the vehicle is at a very low angle and the passenger side is very high which puts even more pressure on the drivers side.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what is the cost for front air shock and time and cost to replace
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately to deflate it you would have to loosen the line at it which can then cause a permanent leak after.The correct way to deflate it is with a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with the suspension computer to then activate it to deflate each shock as needed.The cost for these are around $800 each and 1.2 hours labor to have replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
$800 for tool or shock?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Wife has just told me that she heard a pop when she hit a pot hole like driving over a plastic cup.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

The pop was probably the shock blowing out.Here is a list of the costs for the parts.I suspect drivers front needs replaced.

Air Spring
Front Suspension
Coil Spring Type
Air Spring
From 6/9/04
6L1Z3C199AA $837.47
From 7/7/04
6L1Z3C199AA $837.47
Rear Suspension
With Independent Suspension
Air Spring
2 - From 6/7/04
4L1Z5A891AA $129.85

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this vehicle is a four wheel drive independent suspension 2006 does this make a difference?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will get the vehicle into a garage and compare your help with what we find suspect your right, will rate then if that is ok
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

No this is the same parts list for this model here.My info only lists these part numbers and prices for your model here.

Thanks Pete