Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

Stuck in park. Brake lights work checked fuse number 5&6,

Customer Question

Stuck in park. Brake lights work checked fuse number 5&6
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: Brake fliud level ok. I have no idea if brake fluid has been changedtruck bought used
JA: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?
Customer: 2003 Navigator
JA: Are you fixing your Navigator yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked fuses checked brake lights tried turning on and off. Tried wiggling gear shift took gear shift apart. Still nothing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  david craig replied 11 days ago.

Hi Im David and thanks for visiting the site, The most common cause of this problem is a failed brake position switch which is located at the top of brake pedal. unplug switch and use a wire to jump red/white wire to red/light green wire. If it shifts out of park then replace brake switch. If that doesnt help the next step is to check power/grounds at shifter assembly if good replace.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Replace what
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have brake lights. Is the boo still a possible source of the problem

it doesnt matter if you still have brake lights. it still is going to be the problem if it doesnt test like i wrote

Expert:  david craig replied 9 days ago.

Have you been able to test the switch yet?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I haven't had a chance yet I'm a professional and I've been busy having to drive to backup
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How can I just take the solenoid off the shifter
Expert:  david craig replied 8 days ago.

you'd have to remove the center console to get the the entire assembly. im not sure if the solenoid is a replaceable part the entire assembly needs replaced. ill try to find out

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have removed the center console, because that is necessary in order to reach the overide switch in order to shift out of park. Is there a way to disable the lock?

to disable the overide switch?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No make the damn thing not lock in park.

there should be an override switvh you can press in and at the same time with the key in and foot on the brake pedal , you should be able to unlock the wheel

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Dave I have done all that have the console in pieces. Just want to know either a] how to overide b] remove the lock. Thanks Joey
Expert:  david craig replied 7 days ago.

you want to remove the key cylinder?

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Use the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/shiftlock.pdf

Remove the shift lock actuator. You can now move what the actuator moves when it activates to allow shifting out of park.

Is this what you wanted to know.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Is this what you wanted to know how to do?