Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

I'm considering getting rid of the soft top on my 1996

Customer Question

I'm considering getting rid of the soft top on my 1996 Lincoln Town Car. One of the problems I have is the window seal is missing since the top was covering part of the back window. There are a bunch of aftermarket universal seals out there but I can't figure out which one will actually fit. for example Rock Auto has some (http://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/body,weatherstrip,rear+window+glass+seal,15137). Can someone help me figure out which seal will work for my car?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I have done some searching as well and come up with several options that say would work here.The best thing to do is to contact a dealer with your vehicles VIN number to see if they can tell you which seal is required to then get the part number and punch this number in online to see if you can locate the correct seal for your model or a cross referenced seal that comes up for the factory part number.If this is not an option for you or was already attempted let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Pete. No, the exact factory parts will be very expensive and this is not a show car, just a junk car I'm trying to give a second life. If there's an affordable aftermarket option like the links I put in the question, I'd consider it, otherwise it will be cheaper and easier to just put the darn top back.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately I cannot tell which one of these will fit for sure on your model here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 months ago.

Hello, can you post a picture of this actual top you are talking about?

The reason being, back in the 1980s and 1990's, dealerships were big on adding options to vehicles like carriage roofs that looked like convertible tops, half vinyl tops that only covered the back half of the roof and they added name plates to the side by the small windows like "FLORIDA EDITION".

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I took the vinyl top off already. It's a normal size back window, just doesn't have the outer rubber trim. See the pictures.

Do you have a picture of the car now without the top now?
Most of the moldings/weather-strips came with the glass.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did you look at all pictures attached to my previous post? I had 2 pictures with the top removed.

There is only one picture on the earlier post and it is a picture of your white Lincoln from the rear with a burgundy top. No other picture.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Strange... I can see them all but here, I attached again.

I think they are only available with the glass. I'll OPT OUT and reopen your question to the other experts.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question will automatically close in 7 days.

You have not rated which tells me you are not happy or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?