Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

I also just changed tires from worn out mud grips to street

Customer Question

I also just changed tires from worn out mud grips to street tires & had the front end aligned & all the fluids replaced. Since then there's been a high pitched whine at highway speeds most of the time but it seems to increase if I pull to one side. Like if I'm going straight and there's zero force on the wheel the whining stops. Then if I put a tiny force on the wheel one way or the other it starts up again... just finished a 1000 mile trip with nothing failing. Dunno if that was highly risky or NOT? Also don't know if the noise was there when I had the mud grips on since there was plenty of noise just from them...
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Normally a swerve associated noise is going to be caused by a wheel bearing starting to go bad. If you think it may be related to read design or a tire. Try to pinpoint which corner is worse then rotate the tires and see if it moves to another wheel. Normally a swerve to the left points to a RF wheel bearing with the issue for example.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I guess that means i've got bad bearings on both the left and right because when I pull to the right it makes noise & when I pull to the left it makes noise. What about the differential?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
To check the bearings I can jack it up and rotate the wheel, if it makes noise then I found it?

The differential will not be affected by swerving. It would make a noise based on applying throttle or coasting around 40-60 mph. A wheel bearing that is not in horrible shape is going to require a stethoscope to listen to it while the wheel is spinning at least 15 mph. A good sound would be like your ear close to a ceiling fan. A bad noise would be like hearing a blender from about 20 ft away.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
How do get a wheel moving at 15 mph while it's jacked up?

You would run it in 4wd and if its 2wd then use a drill with a hole saw in it to hold it up to the tread and spin the wheel.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 day ago.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 20 hours ago.
sorry for NOT getting my part done. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 20 hours ago.

Your welcome