Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

I hope so my 2003 lincoln town car engine shuts off while

Customer Question

I hope so my 2003 lincoln town car engine shuts off while driving unexpectedly.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 128,000,000 and its an automatic
JA: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I use a OBD11 code readerand get p1406 up stream hose is off..what is an upstream hose?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car sometimes will not restart after it shuts down onthe high way...I need a jump..
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Ronnie replied 15 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ronnie replied 15 days ago.

The code P1406 is NOT an HO2S code but instead a EGR system code and in most cases when this code set it usually means you have a failing EGR valve and or you have a hose that has come loose. This in most cases will not cause the car to have to be jumped. Are you having to jump start the car when it stalls on you?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Not always. Sometimes I just pull over to one side,turn the key off, And restart the engine and drive away like nothing just happened..The engine runs smooth untill I stop and drive aay again,,In about 10 more minutes the engine stalls again..So it happens after I start driving after each restart.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 15 days ago.

Okay I would start first with checking the EGR and the hoses to it since that is the only code your getting. See the EGR location in the link below. If the hoses look to be in place are you able to do some testing for this code?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/EGR%20Nov%2024.pdf

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
PS,,,I am in a small town in Tennessee and we have a dead spot for Cell phones in this area,,I'd have todrive 10 miles from herein Cleveland TN just to ha
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Cell phones have few bars in this area..
Expert:  Ronnie replied 15 days ago.

No problem we can work from this forunm. Okay I would start first with checking the EGR and the hoses to it since that is the only code your getting. See the EGR location in the link below. If the hoses look to be in place are you able to do some testing for this code?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
OK,,,When the weather out there gets a little better, I'll go out and make those checks and get another OBD II reading..
Expert:  Ronnie replied 15 days ago.

Okay let me know the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have a lincoln book that I use with details..but,,it tells me nothing about the engine shuting off after I drive away.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 15 days ago.

If the EGR is hanging open it could cause a stall but not cause the battery to have to be jumped.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I see..I'll check the battery to, its 4 years old..After 4 0r 5 restarts a day, the battery may also be bad by now.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 15 days ago.

That would be a very good idea as well. Most auto parts stores will check the battery as well as the charging system for you at no charge.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
People here in this small town will not go to LINCOLN for help.I found out the hard way why! They charged me $1500 to install two injectors and two coil overs,, And it took only 1 hour..
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
We try to learn to do this by our selves..It may even cost us more,,But,,we at least learn..
Expert:  Ronnie replied 15 days ago.

That is unfortunate for sure. Some dealer do give all dealers a bad name. Let start with checking the hoses on the EGG as well as the battery and charging system and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'll do that Ronnie. Right now,,first I'll get the OBD II readings..I'll be about 30 minutes..After I get a good reading..I'll start the engine and see if it will run for at least a short while.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 15 days ago.

Okay if the same code resets and the hose look okay then run through the test steps in the link below. This will help you determine if in fact the EGR has failed.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P1406%20Nov%2024.pdf

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
This time the car tested NO CODE..SoI started the car and the engine ran good. So I shut the car off after 10 minutes and tried to restart..It just clicked the starter bendix,,NO START,,So I bought a new Battery put it in and the car ran good.,,Even after several restarts,,So far the car has not been road tested yet..So, I have no idea yet if the battery was the problem ..I'll have to road test the car..
.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 15 days ago.

If the battery was not holding a charge is could effect engine performance. I would go ahead and take it for a drive and see if it checks okay.