Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

I have an 86 Lincoln Continental 302-v-8 with ECFI. I have a

Customer Question

I have an 86 Lincoln Continental 302-v-8 with ECFI. I have a very fast Idle that gets even higher as the car heats up. One mechanic said he checked and found no vacumn leaks which he suspected as cause. He suggested I have him replace the Intake Gasket which he thought might be the cause. I didn't like his price, since no guarntee it would solve problem. How likely is that the Cause. I have no Check engine codes on the car.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: I have no check engines codes at all on the car. I have no scan tool. but I could take to Advance or Auto Zone etc. and see if they would run a 'Code Check' Should I do that first?
JA: I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your Continental yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had it at one repair shop and he had the car for several days;;;and gave up saying that the only other thing he could offer was to replace the Intake Gasket which he thought was likely the cause. But I felt the price was too high ;;It was just over $500.00 including the gasket.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I purchased the car a little over a year ago;;and it's been in a body shop under body & paint repairs for almost that entire time. I'd never driven the car before I put it in the shop for Body work.;;The car has no fluid leaks;;but has 195,500 on the odometer. Other than the fast idle, the car cranks very easily;;doesn't smoke;;has great compression and seems to be on time. That's it.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  roybelding replied 26 days ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
No, I've spent enough. Please answer my question or issue a refund. I'm tired of the run around!
Regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I'll tell you what;; you have my e-mail address;; When you have your response developed please send to my e-mail address. Thanks
p.s. my e-mail address is :***@******.***

what run around??? you must have got an automatic response for a phone call. I do not send that, the site does. I am an independent contractor for the site and have no control over things like that. please dont take it out on me.

I do not have your e mail as I cannot see or view it. it is blocked by the site.

Roy

anyway, there is a vale on the top of the motor called and idle air control valve. it has 2 wires on it. remove the wires while the engine is running and see if the idle lowers to normal or stalls.

Roy

I cannot find a picture from alldata. it is a round valve the a 2 wire electrical connector. common problem for this condition

Roy

are you there

would you like to continue or are we done???