Amedee
Amedee, Lincoln Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Having trouble with a 2002 Lincoln Town Car that i have just

Customer Question

Having trouble with a 2002 Lincoln Town Car that i have just changed the engine. the engine was replaced with a 2005 4.6 that has a knock sensor mounted in the center of the block. the 2002 4.6 engine did not have the knock sensor. Can the 2005 block with the knock sensor not bring connected have any effect such as a no start although the 2002 dose not have a connection for the knock sensor on the harness ? let me mention that the 2002 throttle body and fuel rail were also used due to there were other connections on the 2005 that were not available on the 2002's wiring,(EGR, fuel rail,etc... ) so i used all that would work just as it had on the other block. And I also used the injectors form the 2005 are the compatible or could that also cause a problem? and I may need to ask more questions on this no start issue is that ok?
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Amedee replied 21 days ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 21 days ago.

YES, interchanging these parts from these two engines can cause some major issues. You wont know until it is too late after their installed trying to start the vehicle or after the vehicle is up and running. It could run rough, lean or rich because of these components that are different.

The knock sensor itself will not prevent the engine from starting if it is not hooked up. It will however, set a code in the computer and possibly a check engine light on the dash.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Interchanging the injectors you mean world cause it to run rough ( rich or lean ) because the Throttlebody exhaust and manifold where off of the 2002 Block.
The throttlebody off of the 2002 mounted to the intake Plenum with no issues . There were no electronics on the EGR valve so everything is the same as the 2002 originally was except the injectors . So should I put the original 2002 injectors back instead of the 05's ?You mean the knock sensor will set a code even though it's not connected and the other engine did not have a knock sensor ? How would the Computer know the sensor is there?
Expert:  Amedee replied 21 days ago.

YES, I would use the orignal injectors.

I do believe the other engine has a knock sensor. If not, yes you may get away without using the knock sensor.

Expert:  Amedee replied 21 days ago.

If you send me the VIN, I can look that information up for you and see if it has a knock sensor..

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
is the VIN 1LNHM82W32Y671573
Expert:  Amedee replied 21 days ago.

Thank you for the VIN!

I just looked through all of the factory diagrams and I dont see a wiring diagram for the knock sensor or circuit. It does however, have a description and operation, but it does not appear to have one.

So to answer your question, if your using the computer that originally came without the know sensor, yes, you should be ok and it wont matter if the knock sensor is hooked up or not when installing the 2005 engine.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok that sounds good! Now I want to address this no start issue but first I want to put the original injectors back in to illuminate any other possible issue but Should the car start with those injectors from the 2005 ? I noticed that there was no fuel pressure. And with changing out the engine have an effect on the security system which would cause it not to start ?
Expert:  Amedee replied 21 days ago.

The security system is strictly electronic and the engine should not affect the security system. If anything, it would be in the wiring or harness causing this condition.

I believe the engine will still start with those injectors provided they are the same or close to the original ones. You could always try and see if it starts and runs.. they are not hard to swap out with the other ones if needed..

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Is there any way we can check to see how close the injectors are in comparison ? if possible i would like to use the newer ones but if they want work I don't want to spend a lot of time with them if they are the cause of the no start.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
13 November 2016 09:10
Expert:  Amedee replied 21 days ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay!

YES, I would call your local ford dealership, speak with the parts department and get the part numbers for each injector. If the part numbers are the same, they are the same injectors.

Expert:  Amedee replied 21 days ago.

If the part numbers are different, then you can use the part numbers to do some research on line and see what the differences are between the two different injectors.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
OK ready to take on the no start issue,I tested the injector signal at each injector connector by plugging a noid test light into the connector ,one by one noticing that when turning the engine over the indicator did not flash but was a continuously lit on cylinders #2 & 7, no signal at all on the remaining cylinders . any suggestions?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Amedee replied 21 days ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! Lost connection for a bit.

Expert:  Amedee replied 21 days ago.

Are you saying that the injector signal from the PCM to cylinders 2 and 7 is on constantly? The noid light lit up solid with the key on and cranking?

Can you send a video?

If so, the PCM is faulty.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
when you turn the key on the noid light is automatically on at 2&7. are there other test you recommend for the PCM.?
And would the terminal on the alternator that goes to the battery ,the large cable, has a broken connection would that affect tha PCM signal? I'm going to send a video of the noid light so we can decide whats going on there...
Expert:  Amedee replied 21 days ago.

The large wire your talking about should not affect this signal.

You can disconnect the electrical connectors going to the PCM to see if the noid light turns off.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I disconnected the PCM cable and turn the switch on and the mood light was still on . I'll try to send a10 second video but it said the file is too large.
Expert:  Amedee replied 21 days ago.

Upload it to youtube and send me the link