sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2004 Lincoln Aviator I parked reversed in my

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Lincoln Aviator I parked reversed in my driveway and went to leave now and it feels like the gear shifter is not making contact and allowing me to get into gear.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: original and always working great and well maintained. what is the brake switch?
JA: Are you fixing your Aviator yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing just happend
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no should be it thanks so much
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if your shifter is moving with no resistance and the transmission will not shift. If it moves with no resistance then it isn't moving the linkage to put the trans in gear.

The problem may be a few things. It could be an internal issue in the trans but that isn't likely.

The shift cable may have broken or the cable may be off at either the transmission or shifter end. What needs to be done is set the emergency brake/chock the wheels and first check the linkage at the trans. If it's still attached then either a helper can be used to see if the linkage at the trans moves with the shifter, or the cable can be accessed at the shifter to see if it's attached there. If checking the linkage at the trans for movement the engine should be off and either the vehicle properly supported on a hoist or four jack stands, or the emergency brake set and wheels chocked for safety.