Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

2011 lincoln mkx, check charging system light comes on plus

Customer Question

2011 lincoln mkx, check charging system light comes on plus little battery icon lights up. car starts great lights work just drove 40 miles no problem, still starts great could it be a faulty sensor
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: no smell noticed
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2011 lincoln mkx
JA: Are you fixing your MKX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: troubleshooting right now, all systems show the alternator is working properly, after 40 miles driving with headlights on, car still starts great
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: can't think of anything
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Dan replied 30 days ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 30 days ago.

You should check the battery voltage while the engine is at idle. You should also get a scan for codes done, since the check charging system light is on, it means there will be a code behind it. This could be a problem with the instrument cluster, alternator, or engine computer. A scan tool is also need to check the battery voltage to compare to what the voltage on the battery is reading.

Expert:  Dan replied 30 days ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks

Expert:  Dan replied 24 days ago.

Please leave a rating so I get credit for my time, thank you.