A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

What would cause both heated and cooling seat to not work?

Customer Question

what would cause both heated and cooling seat to not work?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 month ago.

If they both stopped working at the same time, then either fuse 12 or 11 in the engine bay fuse box or the DCSM (Dual Climate Controlled Seat Module). But proper testing with the proper scan tool will find the problem. Just replacing parts will get very costly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
fuse 11 and 12 are good. The dealership said that all powers were bad as the driver side floor got wet from a plugged air conditioning drain. I find it hard to believe that they are all bad. Is there a way I can test the blower out?

If the carpet got wet from the AC draining inside the vehicle, the connectors can have corrosion in them casing poor connection in the electrical connectors.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also the heat light comes on, on both sides and goes out in 30 sec. The cooling stays lit but nothing happens.
fords web site the part number for the heated seat module is 14c724 but the part number in the car is 14b663. They worked on the seat several times in the past and not sure if I trust them.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The connectors look good.

Can you give me the VIN#?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
3LNHM26T79R620938also on the heat seat control module there is a gel on the pins which I am guessing it is some kind of barrier from moisture.

That might be dielectric grease used on electrical connections. The dealership mechanic did that. Ford does not do that from the factory. They needed to repair the problem instead of band aiding it. They still have a connector they need to clean and repair. Especially behind the passenger side kick panel under the dash.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the connector under the panel has a connector that could be causing this issue?

Yes. It is a large connector. See the diagram below.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you were to guess on a part what would it be? And what would be the part number?

I cannot access part numbers till tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok would you go with the seat module instead of the blower. I looked at one blower and don't see what could go wrong with the unit. I am done for the night. do I long in tomorrow or email?

I'll reply back on this page. Just reply back on this page. We can still talk back and forth tomorrow.

And yes, I would go with the module, but I would really inspect the wiring connectors for corrosion around the passenger side floor board and under passenger front seat.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any luck with the part number?

Sorry, had a really busy last 2 days at my dealership and it completely slipped my mind. I really do apologize. I will get it tomorrow if that is ok.