Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Lincoln Technician
Experience:  Lincoln Senior Master
9600325

My 04 Lincoln LS 6 cyl has started going into limp mode. One

Customer Question

My 04 Lincoln LS 6 cyl has started going into limp mode. One time the check engine light also came on. The diagnostics indicated a misfire on cyl #4 so I replaced the coil on plug and the plug, no further check engine light so far. Diagnostics also showed problem with the throttle body so that was replaced as well. Still going into limp mode occasionally with rough idle when this occurs. I have been able to pull over, stop the car, turn off engine, wait a moment and restart and proceed. The "wrench" dash indicator goes out and I am able to resume at a moderate speed but I do notice a bit of rough idle if I have to stop at a light etc. Local Ford mechanics have been all ovwer the place with possibilities such as oxygen sensors or transmission fault or bad computer. Need some real professional advice.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lincoln
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David, with it going into limp mode you have to have codes. what are they?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not today, I had the codes for the previous problems described
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is that an additional$26 or an additional $ 4. ?

is what an additional 26.00??

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The phone call option

the mechanic need to drive the car while monitoring the diagnostics. there HAS to be a code if its in limp mode. i didnt offer any phone call.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Your website has....but listen, if you can't do anything at this point I'll agree only to the $ 5 and sign off
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What are we going to do?

have the mechanics drive the car and monitor it with the diagnostics...that troubleshooting 101. i cant be there to tell them that.

if you dont care to take my advice, thats fine. good luck to you. i will opt out and let another tech weigh in.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

I usually replace all of the coils and plugs when I see this. More than likely one of them is radiating without misfiring, next to impossible to verify. Kind of surprised the dealer did not stress test all of the coils while they had it.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

Just checking in to see if you need further assistance. If you are satisfied with your answer, please respond with "I am satisfied with your answer" or "your answer helped". I will then forward that response to the site admin so my feedback can be updated.

Thanks!

Kenny Z