Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

I have a 5.4 triton...after warm up...1 to 2 minutes...it

Customer Question

I have a 5.4 triton...after warm up...1 to 2 minutes...it shutters continuously...have tried many different thing's including changing different coils..O2 sensors...is now reading number7 failure..have changed that coil already...am behooved...
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: O2 sensor..bank 1...have changed both on passenger side...have changed 3 or 4 different spark plug coils...tested EGR and solenoid amongst other things...have always added Lucas fuel additive ...a Firestone rep is suggesting possible injector problems...which wouldnt make since using Lucas...trying the strongest fuel injector cleaner..with 93 octane...she used to run fine...just all of a sudden5 to 6000 miles ago started with changing coils and plugs
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 98 navigator
JA: Are you fixing your Navigator yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes..trying
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I didn't jot down codes last time..though it was reading number7 malfunction...though I just changed that
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

When the engine is idling can you feel the number 7 injector firing? It should feel like a tap or tick in the injector- I usually just grab it with two fingers and compare how it feels with the other injectors. If you can't feel the click then the injector is either turned off (the PCM will do that if it detects enough misfires) or the injector is dead.