Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln

My tail lights don't work, my brake lights do on my 1999

Customer Question

my tail lights don't work, my brake lights do on my 1999 lincoln town car. and now my passenger headlight went out, but the high beam works
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: I just looked and all three bulbs in the unit are working . Can you tell me what is supposed to be on for just tail lights?
JA: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am looking at it now since it is 7:23 pm here I checked the fuses and the looked at the bulbs. tried replacing them 1 at a time and when that didn't work I got on here.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

Does the 3rd brake light work?

Front and rear parking/running lights are not working?

Do you have a test light or volt meter?

Can you shift out of park?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
all 3 lights work when the brake pedal is pushed on both sides. I didn't look at the park lights. I will have to go outside to see if they are working. I have bulbs, I have a volt meter, but again, I will have to dig it out to try it
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am going to have to leave in a few minutes to pick up my grandson from work, so I don't have much time to spend on this right now.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I can shift out of park and into all gears. I can drive the car. the headlights work on high beam, but the passenger light has gone out for regular lights. It all just happened. First the tail lights and shortly after that the head light.

Are you calling the tail lights the lights that come on in the front and rear with the headlight switch between off and headlights on?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am calling the tail lights the lights that come on normally when the car is on ( and the switch is turned to the timer off position). I was only talking about the tail lights. I didn't notice the park lights. They may be out also. but again the head light is out now. The driver's side headlight is working normally.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I'm sorry, I have to leave. I don't have anymore time to troubleshoot this now.

At the LCM above the drivers shins. Test the brown wire pin 22 connector 200. It needs to be powered with the parking or auto lamps, or headlight on.

If this wire is not powered then check pins 15 and 21 with the parking lights and then headlights on, you should get power on pin 21 white/pink with the parking lights on, pin 15 red/yellow with the headlights on at connector 221

Passenger low beam, at the LCM check the connector 222 pin 6 dark green/orange wire for power with the headlights on low beam.

If you have no parking lamp power out of the LCM but you do get signal in from the headlight switch, then the LCM is bad. If you get no power out for the low beam then the LCM is bad.

This is my 1st answer of what can be many. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. At the top of your screen is the rating box that you only get to use once. Please make sure to complete the mandatory rating when ready or reply and say "I am pleased with my answer". Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way.

Thanks Moose.