A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

I have a 2012 Lincoln MKX. The left headlight on dim goes

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Lincoln MKX. The left headlight on dim goes out sometimes but comes back on. I took to Lincoln they told me they cleaned prongs. But didn't show code so the light would have to be off when I brought it in and leave it running where they could check code. How many different things can it be and should I replace everything. Ima little annoyed that they don't know. So it was on when I got up there and it didn't go back off. But it went off later that day
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 months ago.

Can you give me the VIN#. I need to see what headlights your 2012 MKX has. Either HID or Adaptive headlights.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1LMDJ8jKXCBL17025

Please double check the vin#.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2LMDJ8JKXCBL17025

Thank you, ***** ***** has the adaptive headlights.

The problem is either the ballast for the left headlight assembly, or the bulb itself. We have seen the bulbs cause intermittent problems. The ballast controls the current to the headlight bulb because they are HID and not standard bulbs like older vehicles.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have extended Platinum Warranty. Will it cover any of them items. I can understand the headlight being bad but the ballast or assembly should be covered in hoping. Is that right and the reason it's a problem is because they say it has to be out when I bring it in and leave motor running. We don't live close and sometimes it's on and sometimes it's off. What would you do if you were me, try replacing light first. Thank you so much for your time and help

I do not understand why they are telling you that you have to bring it in with it not working. We deal with intermittent problems all the time at my dealership and I have been a technician for Ford for 30 years.

I would try the bulb and then look at the ballast. They should be able to work on it till it acts up and then check for power to the bulb and from the ballast.

It would all be covered.