Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care

Aviator is making engine noise and low oil pressure message

Customer Question

Aviator is making engine noise and low oil pressure message is on. Light comes on too
JA: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?
Customer: well, it is a 2004 and I do not think it has been changed. Engine light came on, but does not flash.
JA: Are you fixing your Aviator yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just bought this car. I am trying to fix myself. Changed the oil and filter, the spark plugs, the fuel filter and two coil packs that were showing on the obdii meter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the guy I bought the car from said it was running fine and just quit. I got it started. It makes plenty of noise like lifters, so I do not run it other than the first 10 minutes once I got it started and a few minutes with each repair. When I put a new fuel filter in and replaced the coil packs on 1 and 4 (P0351 and P0354) the oil light went off and stayed off, the car idled well but high at about 1100 rpms and the oil pressure error cleared (surprise to me). The fuel filter was severely clogged. I would like to take the new on off and see if it is the same. Do not understand why this would effect the oil pressure alarm other than perhaps the desire to stall is effecting pressure.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 25 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Are you saying that the oil pressure light has not returned since you put on the fuel filter?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
It was off for a few minutes and the on the whole, the engine was sounding better but shortly thereafter, the light returned, the engine started to sound rougher, and would no longer idle.

Ok, I understand, thanks. I have a suggestion: It sounds like you actually have a low oil pressure problem and not just an idle issue. It is relatively common for these engines to get clogged oil pickup screens. Rather than remove the oil pan to check this, you can simply take off the oil filter and blow compressed air through the center part, which goes directly to the oil pump and pickup tube. Then, if when you start it the problem goes away, you can take off the oil pan and clean the pickup tube as you have now proven that it has fixed it. I hope this info helps out!

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Also, please don't forget to take a second and rate my service! Thanks

Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 24 days ago.
Hi I'm checking in to see if you still need any further help on your problem
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 19 days ago.

Hi, it's Josh checking in again on your oil pressure light issue. Did you have any other questions for me?