Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Lincoln Navigator 2003... engine dies on a hot day with air

Customer Question

Lincoln Navigator 2003... engine dies on a hot day with air conditioner running. Stops dead and won't start again until it cools off a bit. Then runs fine for awhile. Replaced the crank shaft sensor and checked alternator. It shuts off as though the ignition switch was turnd off.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Cary York replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

Have you had it checked for codes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took it to the dealer, there were no codes, they found a manufacture bulitin that said something about replacing the alternator and wiring harness. They couldn't get it to fail on a test drive. It will only die when the weather is over 95 degrees and the air conditioner is on. An independent mechanic replaced the crankshaft sensor. It didn't correct the problem.

Sorry I have to go. I will opt out so another expert can help.

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. I would consider having a shop such as a dealer put a full scanner on it and observe the ECU temperature sensor when this occurs. It has bin a hot summer and these sensors when getting older loose some resistance and don't function correctly. This sensor is sort of a safety device that saves the engine from over heating by shutting it down. Hope this helps locate your problem and if you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will look into the ECU sensor.
Thanks, *****

let me know what you find.