Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

2002 lincoln navigator keep frying the alternator. Replaced

Customer Question

2002 lincoln navigator keep frying the alternator. Replaced the alternator cable, alternator harness plug, charging system fuse is good and the fusible link is good. I did a voltage drop test and nothing over 0.5 volts. Replaced starter relay and cleaned all ground and battery contacts.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

What brand alternators are you using?

How long are they lasting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You have billed me twice already and i have received no answer.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Three alternators in three days. Two from oriellys and one from ford ac delco.

I have nothing at all to do with fees. Use the contact us link at the bottom of the page to discuss that with the website.

How long are all of these aftermarket alternators lasting?

Do you own a digital volt meter?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You can smell the alternator frying as soon as you start it up. I put my multimeter on the alternator and ground and watched the alternator start out at 14.2 v with no loads and the alternator immediately starts to drop voltage...about a volt every minute until the interior lights start going off. At this time the voltage output from the alternator is at 12v and the vehicle starts dying.

Thanks,

At the alternator does the OG/LB and BK/OG wire match battery voltage with the key off?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The last alternator that was put on was bought at the ford dealership, 130 amp rating.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The og/lb has no volt w/ key off and the bk/og has battery w/ key off.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
bk/og is the alternator cable, og/lb is the alternator harness wire on plug pin position 3

Fuse 11 under the hood is the power for the OG/LB wire. So check that fuse and wiring for a break, below is a diagram.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/OG.pdf

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
After veiwing the wiring diagram i was checking voltage on the wrong wire...i was checking the LG/RD. On this model the OG/LB is OG/WH and I do have +B on it. I mentioned on my question that the charging system fuse was good, which on the wiring diagram is fuse 11. All this was checked w/ key off.

Thanks for double checking that. Do you have extra electronics on your vehicle that draw from the battery? What was the date that you installed the Ford Motorcraft alternator that you bought from your local dealer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Purchased it a couple of weeks ago...installed it along w/ the alternator pig tail 3 days ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Everything is original...nothing extra.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Original electronics and radio

So far all the tests are pointing to the alternator to blame here, assuming those tests were done right. If it is the alternator then you can take the vehicle to the dealer and they will do the diag and repair on the alternator for free since this alternator comes with a parts and labor warranty.

Here are the tests they will run if you want to double check your work.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/02alttest.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/02comptest.pdf

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris