Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech

I have a 1999 Lincoln town car with the 4.6 engine, recently

Customer Question

i have a 1999 Lincoln town car with the 4.6 engine, recently purchased has 91,000 miles may have been set up for a while, does not miss when idling, but when you get to 35 to 40 mph there is a definite miss
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Ronnie replied 29 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ronnie replied 29 days ago.

Are you able to scan the computer system to see which cylinder is dropping out?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
no i have not , does auto zone or another auto store do that ?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 29 days ago.

Yes Auto Zone can run a scan for you at no charge. This type of misfire is in most cases either a failing coil or a bad spark plug and the scan should show you which cylinder is misfiring. Once you know which one it is, try swapping the coil from the cylinder next to the bad one and see if the misfire moves. If it dose then replace the coil. If it dose not move then suspect a bad spark plug.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
my check engine light is not on , but i have a definite miss-fire , auto zone said their scanner would only show a code if check engine light is on . is this correct ?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 25 days ago.

If the misfire has happen frequently enough you can usually pull a code for the misfiring cylinder. I would have the scan done and see if there is a code.