Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles

I also have a 2011 Lincoln MKX with approx. 50k on it. same

Customer Question

I also have a 2011 Lincoln MKX with approx. 50k on it. same symptoms as the other person. clunk or knock sound from rt strut tower area only when making left. more pronounced when going over a dip or bump in road. Replaced rt strut and upper bearing and lower control arm. disconnected sway bar. still the same. any ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Have you inspected the rack bushings? Also how hard are you cranking the wheel?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I havent inspected the rack bushings. Sterring wheel is generally turned to the left and i have had it make the clunk or "pop" on a slow back or forth speed, when on a smooth surface as well as going over a dip on the sidewalk apron. It is defending position related as it will only do it when the wheel is turned to the left. Does not necessarily have to be hard over. Wondering if its a bad outer cv or the rack. I was hoping you were aware of something specific to this vehicle and this particular problem.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

I can open it back up if you prefer. I would say check the brake caliper, and pads for looseness and rack bushings to start with.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I have not heard from you in a few days. Do you still need assistance? I also noticed you haven't left a rating. I have assisted in good faith and am only compensated when you leave a positive rating. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to leave a positive rating. Conversations can always continue after a rating is received.