EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  ASE, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel, Kia Professional Elite
34559540

Aviator problems

Customer Question

Aviator problems
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 5 months ago.

Hi. What is the year and engine size of your aviator?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2004 4.6 Liter

Ok thanks. What is the problem you are having?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a few. The first is an Air Conditioning issue.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No power to the coil
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The other day it had power and still didnt work.
I changed the coil and checked the pressure and it worked for 3 startups and stopped in the middle of the third
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Clutch not coil. sorry

Ok. I was just typing to ask that. Thans.

When it works is it cold at all?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Freezing. I checked the pressure with my gauges and it was in the proper range as well.

Ok. Freon level should be good. Is it auto climate control or manual?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The low side switch has two wires so i crossed it to attempt to see if I would get power to the clutch. Still no power. Fuses have been checked relay was switched. I don't know how to bypass the high pressure switch to see if it's bad. How would I do that?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still with me?

Yeah. I was reading the wiring diagram

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh, Okay. Thanks

I am not finding the cycling/low pressure switch in the wiring diagram. I need another second. THanks.

this uses an expansion valve setup. There is no low pressure switch. The engine computer grounds the ac clutch relay which then turns on the ac compressor.

There is an ac diode which sometimes goes bad. If it does the relay can not get a ground signal.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is a A/C diode in the engine fuse box. I switched it as well with the one beside it. Could they both be bad?

It is possible but not very likely. Do you have a test light?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There are to sensors coming off the expansion blocked. I crossed the one on the top - low side
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
a multimeter for continuity - voltage testing
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
two not to

Ok. I am a ford dealer mechanic for 20 years and the service information for some reason is very vague on that particular ac system.

If you go to the ac clutch relay and remove it, with the engine running and ac on, you should have battery voltage on terminals 1 and 3 of the relay.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Maybe it's because these were only made a few years. Still would think there would be info
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Which are 1 and 3. Let me know and Ill check now

Should say on the relay.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay. Ill do it now

I can offer you, through the website a pdf file of the air conditioning wiring diagram if you are interested. It is a additional 10 dollars though.

Ok.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
power to one. No power to three
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It would be better if I had you guide me through it. I have a good amount of knowledge but I doubt it's near what you have

Ok. With the relay removed if you want you can use a jumper wire and go from pin 1 to pin 5 and see if the compressor kicks on.

I know what you mean. A lot of times I wish I could just be there to do it. haha

Also, pin 3 is fused by fuse number 10 (10amp) in the interior fuse panel. Check that fuse as well.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
okay doing that now.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Jumped 3 and 5 no luck. rechecked fuse 10 and it was blown.replaced and checked 3 for power. 3 has power, now 1 doesn't. It must be shorting out after the fuse block. What fuse # is 1
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Jumped 1 and 5. sorry
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I agree! I'm sure this issue would be diagnosed by now if you were here.

Under the hood fuse 37 (15amp) is for pin 1 of relay. If that fuse is blown just reinstall relay replace fuse and see if the system works.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I checked that one. It was the only other a/c fuse in the manual. It is good. I will recheck just to be 100%

If 37 is good check fuses 11 and 41 in the box under the hood as well.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
37 is good checking others now
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
11 and 41 is good. Pin 1 still has no power.
OD light now flashing? Maybe from pulling and checking fuses?

Probably from pulling fuses. I dont see why pin 1 would not have power now if it did before. Does the system work if the relay is put back in?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
me neither I double checked it 1/2 dozen times. I will check
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It still doesnt work. However now there are 6 transmission codes that come up. I cleared them and they came back up immediately.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Something else somehow associated with pin 1 or 5 must have blown a different fuse or damaged a relay.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what fuses/relays are associated with the transmission?

are you sure fuse 37 is good?

in the battery box under the hood. (15amp)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I checked it and then switched it with another for good measure.

make sure you are getting the correct fuse location. The trans codes should clear.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My apologies. I checked the one next to it. Replaced 37 and have power to 1 and 3. put the relay in again and it blew interior fuse #10 again. replaced interior fuse 10 again with power on 1 and 3 again.

If the fuse 10 keeps blowing when the relay is installed, the relay may be bad, or the wire from the relay to the compressor clutch is shorted to ground.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll switch the relay with one of the same part number. If I have to replace the wire is it the one going from pin 5 that goes to the a/c clutch and provides the power?

Yes. I would check the wiring down by the compressor clutch make sure they are not chaffing on anything or the wires melted together or anything like that.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that is the plan. Now to issue 2.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have Emissions P codes 443, 446, and 403. I believe these are caused by two lines that have been plugged off with bolts I was unable to find a loose electrical connector near the vacuum lines. Pictures of the lines are provided
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I need to know what emissions component is missing to replace it.

Looks like the purge valve maybe.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The purge valve is on the driver fender well. This has to be something different. This is to the right (passenger) side of the intake.

Its hard for me to see the lines and where the go from the pictures

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Look at the last pic then the second then the first. That should give you more of an exploded view and then closer.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
To better identify the area.

There may be a diagram under the hood or on the fan shroud of the vacuum hoses. They look like they might go to the egr valve or fuel rail pressure sensor

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No diagram. The egr is directly on top of the intake and has the vacuum connected. I will check the fuel rail sensor.

Beside the 3 mentioned componenents already there is not much else hooked up to vacuum.

Do you see the decal under the hood that is white and says vehicle emmisions control information? has spark plug gap on it.

This is the best vacuum diagram you will be able to find.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the fuel rail pressure sensor is hooked up and on the radiator side of the engine the open lines are on the firewall side a few inches from the bellhousing. there appears the be a flat surface were one was at but it is gone.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
okay i will look at it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
any way to make the resolution better. letter are to small to read.

i am not sure. I just saved it. The photo seems clear here

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The big writing is the small writing that has the actual vacuum components and their names is not. I took the screws out and there is no vacuum coming from it. This was done on a cold start though so it may have vacuum after the EGR opens up.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I checked the A/C wiring and at the end by the clutch connector the insulation was melted and the power and ground wire were touching. I removed the connector enough to pull the harness to the top of the engine compartment. Removed the wires from the pigtail and managed to get some heat shrink tube over them, tape everything up, and put it back together. I secured the harness as far as possible from moving parts and heat with a zip tie. The A/C is working good again. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am also having an issue with the power door locks. They do not work with the door switches but work with the remote.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
BTW that is the last issue :)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I understand it's late. What is the earliest we can we finish this tomorrow? Also what time zone are you in?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Eric are you on?

Hi. I see you got your ac problem resolved. Need any more help with your truck?