AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner

It won't turn over. And the message comes up. "check battery

Customer Question

It won't turn over. And the message comes up. "check battery charge" system
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: Haven't opened the hood yet.
JA: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?
Customer: 2006 Lincoln zepher
JA: Are you fixing your Zephyr yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing. My first thought was to try to jump start it and take it to get maintenance to find out the real problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: In searching I see that it has a recall for the Takata airbag that I will also take care of. The airbag alert light came on and stayed on yesterday too. I got the maintenance book out to see what all that was about, and when I went to use the car again, it wouldn't turn over.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 month ago.

Hello. It definitely does sound like your battery is dead and will need to be replaced. You could confirm that by trying to jump start it. If you'd like, you could jump start it and drive it right to your lincoln dealer and they can replace the battery as well as perform the recall for the front passenger airbag inflator.

Please let me know if that answer addresses your question. I want to make sure that you get the answer you came here for.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
jump starting it will not pose any further damage?

No. Jump starting the car will be ok. You may have to attach the jumper cables from the other car and wait a couple minutes while the other car charges your battery up a little. You could also try to charge your battery if you'd like.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** my original planning and put me at ease as far as jump starting. Bye

Your welcome.

Here's the jump starting procedure direct from lincoln if you want it.