Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

Vehicle = 2007 Lincoln Towncar 4.6L Recently I found a small

Customer Question

Vehicle = 2007 Lincoln Towncar 4.6LRecently I found a small set of wires under the hood that were rubbing the valve cover on the passenger side of the vehicle. I cut out the damaged sections and repaired them with butt connectors. I also had a check engine light on prior to this discovery and it was a code for EGR however the light would come and go then stayed off for an extended period of time. The light came back and stayed on, shortly after the light stayed on I discovered the wiring issue. After the repair, The light came back on the next day and would not shut off. The codes present are: p0108, p0442, p0406 is it possible the wiring is related to these systems and the wiring shorted the ECM? what should I start looking for?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
here are a few pictures of the wires and the wire harness so you can see the color of the wires. the wire harness tag is completely worn off so I can't get you any information except this visual reference
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

Shorting the PCM is a possiablity but before you consider replacing any parts let clear the codes and see which ones return. To clear the codes, remove the negative battery cable for a few minutes and then reconnect it and run the engine and lets see which ones return. Post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I also should have mentioned I cleared the codes and the same codes mentioned came right backIn the picture (1371.jpg) you can see the where I did the repair since there is electrical tape on the harness but also you can see where they were rubbing on the valve cover
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

When you made your repair did you separate the wire and tape them up individually?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did each wire individually. I cut out the bad section and just reconnected them with the connectors
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry I repaired each wire individually however I bundled the connectors and taped them together at once
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

The codes P0108 and P0406 indicate you have a problem with the EGR control module and the code P0442 indicates a problem with the Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Canister Vent Solenoid/Valve. It is very possible the shorted wires caused these two to fail. In order to determine if in fact that is the case you are going to need to do some test. Are you able to do this ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can do the test
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

Okay give me a moment to put them together for you.

Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

Okay for the code P0442 your going to want to run the pinpoint test HX 46. See the complete file in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/HX%2046%20Sep%207.pdf

For the code P0108 and P0406 your going to need to run the pinpoint test HH1. Both pinpoint test are in the complete file .

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I see HX46but I don't see HH1
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Where can I monitor this voltage reading from?HH5 DTC P0406: DETERMINE THE PRESENT DPFEGR PID VOLTAGE
Key ON, engine OFF. Access the PCM and monitor the DPFEGR PID. Is the voltage greater than 4 V?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

This testing requires access to a ful scan tool and reading the data stream. The only other way would be with a volt meter and probing the wires.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a scan tool coming, is it difficult to prob the wires?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

It not to difficult but reading the data stream is much more effective if possible.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
in the live data on the scan tool, DPFEGR PID doesn't seem to be an option
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

It should be , its shows on mine. It may be a problem with your scan tool.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok so I've updated the scan tool and still don't have that PID value. On this year isn't the "dpfe" eliminated by the new get design??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
New egr design
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

Your 2007 has what is called an EGR Module. See it in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/EGR%20module%20System%20Sept%208.pdf

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok so what is the next step since the scan tool option isn't going to work
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

Im not sure at this point, perhaps your going to need to get some hands on professional test help.