Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2008 mix sun visor and sunroof will not open sunroof only

Customer Question

2008 mix sun visor and sunroof will not open sunroof only tops up
JA: What is the model of your '08 Lincoln?
Customer: MKX AND ITS A 09
JA: Are you fixing your MKX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Check the switch and fuses both are good
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: i checked the one under the hood
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Roof will tilt shade will not open nor will the roof open only tilts with shade closed
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, first step to try the initialization procedure which resets the system

Roof Opening Panel Motor Initialization

WARNING: Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

NOTE: New roof opening panel glass motor/shade motors must be initialized after installation.

NOTE: A de-initialized glass or shade motor will stutter step open when operated from the roof opening panel control switch.

NOTE: The roof opening panel control switch must be held during the entire initialization process or the sequence will be aborted and the roof will remain in a de-initialized state.

For a new drive assembly

NOTE: If installing a new roof opening panel shade motor assembly, use the existing drive assembly procedure.

1. Start the engine.

2. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch.
- The sliding glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop, stall and then move backward a few millimeters and then forward.

- The sunshade panels will move toward their front hard-stops, stall, move back a few millimeters, then forward.

- After the sunshade panels have finished moving backward and forward, release the roof opening panel control switch.

3. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch while the sliding glass panel and sunshades fully open and fully close. Release the roof opening control switch.

4. Initialization is now complete. Verify successful initialization by carrying out one-touch open, one-touch close, one-touch vent (glass) and one-touch open for the sunshades.
- If roof opening panel does not operate correctly, repeat Steps 2 through 4.

For an existing drive assembly

5. Start the engine.

6. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch until the sliding glass panel is in the fully CLOSED position. Release the control switch.

7. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch (for at least 10 seconds).
- The sliding glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop and stall.

8. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch.
- The sliding glass panel and sunshades will fully open together. Then, the sliding glass panel will close first and then the sunshades will return to the fully CLOSED position. When the sunshades have stopped moving, release the roof opening panel control switch.

9. Initialization is now complete. Verify successful initialization by carrying out one-touch open, one-touch close, one-touch vent (glass) and one-touch open for the shades.
- If roof opening panel does not operate correctly, repeat Steps 6 through 9.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.