Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician

This is a coolant issue that has me stumped, frustrated and

Customer Question

This is a coolant issue that has me stumped, frustrated and nearly broke. I am looking for a direction to point my mechanic in, who is at a loss. 15 months ago there was a bad radiator hose and temp. replaced. No problems for 12 months. Then, the car would get a little warm, but never hot until the day the overflow broke open. (no light and needle indicated hot very quickly) It was replaced. Took a long vacation and put 3,000 miles on the car with no problems. This week it overheated and we replaced the fan assembly. Two days later it is getting hot again, coolant dripping from overflow area. Any ideas where to look next?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Hi im kevin how quickly does engine get hot now ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The car took a 20 mile freeway trip and my son saw coolant dripping when he arrived at destination..not hot..the car sat for 5 hrs and he got 5 miles down the road before the needle jumped up and he,pulled it over and parked it
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

My recommendation if you have no external leaks just pressuring out the top would be to have a combustion gas test carried out to see if head gasket has breached allowing a small amount of fluid to be burnt

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Wouldn't the coolant have a brownish color? Not the case
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

No no colour difference at all just pressure in system this is an easy and quick test at garage

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if that is not the solution..option B? There was a time earlier this summer that the car got a little warm and turning off the a/c brought it related? That was the recent..expensive repair
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Has thermostat been replaced ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Last year
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

It sonds like youve covered most other bases and the most likely cause for overheat is the level dropping slightly allowing air into system .have combustion gas check carried out i suspect that a head gasket issue is the cause

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

No problem please rate my service and come back to me let me know how you get on

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If the head gasket is involved would that require replacement?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Yes this is an involved job as you have a v8 you have two cylinder heads this bascally means removing the top half on the engine

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news have test carried out and go from there .please remember to rate my service