EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  ASE, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel, Kia Professional Elite
34559540

My LS, 04 with the bigger engine, had a spike in the temp

Customer Question

my LS, 04 with the bigger engine, had a spike in the temp gauge. i pulled over for five minutes, looked under the hood, nothing steaming. got back in the car and the gauge pegged at the 9 o'clock normal position. this happened three times over two weeks. yesterday, it pegged, defaulted to alternating cylinder protection mode. I drove for a few more minutes, then got steam coming from somewhere up front. Now each time if drive it, after a mile or so the temp spikes. I hope the likely fix isn't a head gasket issue, rather a sensor or valve. thoughts?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 3 months ago.

Hi. When your vehicle is at idle and starts to reach its normal operating temperature, does the cooling fan come on normal speed? Then when the temperature is reaching hot, does the fan kick on to high speed?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
once the temp gauge moves past the 9 oclock position the fan kicks on high speed

Ok. If the fan is on high the engine should cool down. You may have a coolant leak and the system is low on coolant. There is a special bleeding procedure to get the air out. So it is possible if it was low from a leak, then if it was topped off the system might be air bound. Have you checked the coolant level?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i put about a half gallon in to top it off

I would bet the system is air bound right now. You probably have a leak that made the system low. There is another radiator cap on the engine in the front, under the cover. You need to fill coolant through there to fill the engine.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok, i will have the mechanic try that

sounds good, have him check for leaks also.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok thaks

your welcome. thanks and please rate my assistance.

Thanks for allowing me to assist you with your LS. Let me know if you have more questions and also rate the service provided. Thank you.

Hi. If you have more questions then please respond to this chat. Otherwise rate my assistance with the 5 stars and have a great day.

Thanks for viewing my last response on 9/6/2016 at 7:41:56 PM. Please let me know if you have any more questions on this. Also please rate my assistance today. We can continue in this chat even after the rating is complete. Thank you.