A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician

Lincoln Towncar 1997 48,000 original miles on her. This year

Customer Question

Lincoln Towncar 1997 48,000 original miles on her. This year several times I can not get her started. She will crank and crank as if she is not getting gas. I have tried to jump start her but still nothing. The repair garage say's it has to do with the anti theft system? After they looked at it she has run for about a month. SO now what can I do she won't start.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 month ago.

We need to find out if you have no fuel or no spark.

You can try this yourself. On the passenger side of the engine on the metal fuel lines for the fuel injectors on top of the intake manifold, there is a test port that looks like a tire valve stem. Cycle the key on and of 3 to 5 times and then leave the key on. Then take the cap of the test port and press the needle valve down in the port and see if you get a large spray of fuel. No fuel spray, could mean the fuel pump or fuel pump relay.