john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase certified imac cerified
6149662

1998 Town Car steering feeling stiff. Steering does not

Customer Question

1998 Town Car steering feeling stiff. Steering does not return to center after going around a corner, have to turn steering wheel to straighten out the car. Returns partially when turning left but right turns do not return without pulling the steering wheel straight. Plenty of fluid in the pump. Car also sat idle for about 10 days and is used infrequently, about 1500 miles only this summer. Car has about 170,000 miles on it.
JA: Have you checked your tire pressure? Is it a steady pull?
Customer: Not pulling when driving. If I make a right at a corner the steering does not come back to straight unless I turn the steering wheel.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried driving around and turning more to see if the steering would free up. It did a bit for left turns but not right turns. Will look at the linkages and joints tomorrow and grease what I can. Just found it odd that the steering would mostly come back to straight after a left corner but a right corner the steering does not come back at all.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: My mechanic said the stabilizer bushings need replaced. My neighbors sprinkler sprays on the driver side of the car which does wet it every day for the last 10 days that it was not used. Some control arms, ball joints, pitman arm, brakes and pads were replaced last December. Also replaced driver side front shock and coil spring last December.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 3 months ago.

the lower steering shaft is bound...sometimes lubing them will help slightly... some years were under recall.. its a common failure on the panther platform

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!