Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master certified, 30 years experience. Auto troubleshooting, electrical , ABS, SRS, EFI system
2947720

2008 power lift gate won't open nor would it hold open when

Customer Question

2008 power lift gate won't open nor would it hold open when I manually open it
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

What is the make, model and engine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2008 lincoln navigator L 5.4L
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I use the remote key fob and press the rear gate it unlocks but doesn't open
And if I open it by hand it falls down I have had a number of years ago and then suddenly it started to work again
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

I see, thanks. Do you know if there are any trouble codes, (B117B) stored?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where would I see codes on the obd2?
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

On a scan tool. That would also be needed to run the software updates or diagnose it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have an obd2 scanner can I see the codes on it?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I already paid $22.00 and i haven't got one answer yet and I'm already being asked for more $? I'm trying to save not to go to a mechanic but if I don't get any answers here just getting billed what good is this service???
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Sorry, we are not allowed to discuss money with any customers. Is you scan tool capable of communicating with body systems?

There was a factory service bulletin on some of them that involves a software update for the Liftgate modules.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'll check
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Okay, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Let me know if you need the test for that or a copy of the factory service bulleltin, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
please
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

I have the test instructions in a PDF format, at the following link. You can copy and paste it into a new browser and rate the answer on this page.

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1in7dw0im9ivyi/pinpoint%20test%20is%20intended%20to%20diagnose%20the%20following.pdf?dl=0

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

.

Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Did you get that?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
gotta be something else beacause it unlocks and locks it just wont budge to move
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Something else? Other than;

 Wiring, terminals or connectors
 Fuse(s)
 Power liftgate latch
 Motor/clutch assembly
 Optical sensor
 LTM
 Power liftgate rod

I can't imagine when.