Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech

I have a 95 Lincoln Continental it turns over but doesn't

Customer Question

I have a 95 Lincoln Continental it turns over but doesn't start I don't hear the fuel pump cutting on so I replaced it it's still not cutting on check the voltage from the plug and it reads 12 volts what should I check next
Category: Lincoln
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 2 months ago.

Hello Jeremy, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The most common caused for the lack of fuel pump operation on your 1995 Continental is in most cases caused by a failing Fuel pump driver module . In order to be able to determine if in fact that is the case you are going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the test steps in the link below. Have a look and post back if you have more questions and or need more help and we can work from there.

See the wiring diagram in this link for testing reference as well.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you would be talking about the cutoff switch correct? Just wondering but since there is 12 volts going to the plug that operates the fuel pump underneath wouldn't that mean that cut off switch is working if it was bad wouldn't there be no power?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 2 months ago.

No Im not referring to the inertia switch , Im referring to the fuel pump drive module located in the trunk that drive the fuel pump in the tank. Power to the FPDM come from the inertia to the FPDM so that means the switch is fine. Run the test steps on the FPDM as I suspect its the source of your problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly I take two pieces of wire I expose all four ends then I take one wire and put it into the hole where the white wire goes to and put the other end of the same wire into the hole where the pink and black one goes to then I take the other piece of wire that I have and put one end into the hole where the black wire goes to and the other end of the same wire into the hole where the brown and white wire goes to then I turn the ignition and fuel pump to Pump Fuel to the fuel rail correct?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have done this but the fuel pump is still not pumping fuel to the fuel rail don't know what to try next
Expert:  Ronnie replied 2 months ago.

If you jump the module as described in step #4 for dose the pump run?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Before I tried this I pressed the Schrader valve in and nothing came out at all after I did this I pushed the Schrader valve in and a little bit did come out not much but a little bit does that mean that's the problem then? Was thinking if that's the problem more fuel would come out but I know I can be wrong
Expert:  Ronnie replied 2 months ago.

Try installing the jumper wire as described in step 4 and see if the pump runs. It should and if the pump is not defective you should have good pressure.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've done it a couple of times and each time I jump it only a little bit comes out not very much before I jumped it nothing was coming out
Expert:  Ronnie replied 2 months ago.

Okay then that usually means the pump is defective, the pump should run at full speed with the jumper installed and produce proper pressure.