A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician

2006 town car with the electric engine cooling fan not

Customer Question

2006 town car with the electric engine cooling fan not working. Put 12vdc on fan motor and it fires right off but put new fan in anyway..both test good. Replaced fan control help. The harness and plugs look great.
With A/C on and engine reaching hot to almost H idling no fan.
Is the next step to replace ECM?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

You will need a wiring diagram and a multimeter to diagnose this.

Do you have a meter?

Do you need a diagram?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have checked the 12vdc going into the fan control module supplied by the 50 amp fuse..and the ground is good. I don't know what to expect on the control wire I believe that comes from the ECM to the fan control module. Fan runs when 12 vdc applied and grd.Ford can test ECM output to confirm it is feeding the fan module input correctly before I vote the ECM as bad. I am not confident that power to ECM needed for fan control logic is available but my obd2 shows no ECM problems...
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

If you accept the premium service I can send you a pdf of the wiring diagram of the cooling fan circuit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't need an up sale.. the fan has 2 wires going to it from the output of the fan control unit. The fan control unit has 3 wire inputs.. one 12vdc from a 50 amp fuse... one to grd directly...and a small 16 Gauge wire I believe going to the ECM unit where the fan on signal comes from via inputs to the ECM of head temperature or air conditioning on.I have schematics..but not of inside of fan control unit or ECM.Telling someone to buy a book is not's sales. It's a 5 wire system ..either provide specific assistance in troubleshooting or stay off the question please...
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Ok another expert will help shortly.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 2 months ago.

First you will need to check for trouble codes in the PCM> Below are the only cooling fan diagrams Ford has in their shop manual and also below is the pin point test we follow at the dealership for properly diagnosing the variable speed cooling fan.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Turned out the new fan motor assy was bad from factory. Ford dealer is replacing the fan control and fan assy free of charge including labor. This pulse DC system is a rediculous design...I had no way to vote a new fan assy was bad recognizing ohm test and motor appeared goid. It's getting frustrating with the complexity of a simple function...and the test limitations when your dealing with low voltage prosessor's and now square wave pulse inputs...

Glad to hear the dealership took care of the problem. We are seeing more and more electrical issues with the newer vehicles and the new parts we install at the dealership I work at. It is not fun replacing 3 alternators on one vehicle before it even leaves your bay.