Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech with 35 years experience
36867192

2001 town car executive. ABS and brake lights are on. Check

Customer Question

2001 town car executive.
ABS and brake lights are on.
Check engine light not on, no codes set. Engine runs normally until vehicle is in motion.
Something is limiting the speed. It seems normal till about 30 seconds, then it seems like it is speed limited to 30mph.
Except if from a stop I floor it, it will accelerate normally to about 60, then the limiting starts.
Is this some kind of limp mode?
Does it have wheel speed sensors in the rear wheels? I didnt see any.
I'm thinking the computer doesn't know vehicle speed or something, and it is putting it in a limp mode
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  roybelding replied 3 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

you need a code reader that will read abs codes. a parts store will do this for you for free. once we have the code. we can narrow down the area of failure

Roy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No they dont scan abs

ok, call another parts store to be sure they can scan the abs system

anything we talk about is a guess until we have an area of failure

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I see you're not going to help me. Terminate this

I can help but you need to provide the information for us to help

have a good day

Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 3 months ago.

The ABS system is a highly sophisticated system, that when it malfunctions to this degree and sends the computer into fail safe mode causing the car to go into limp mode, the possibilities are endless, a major malfunction of the engine , an internal failure in the transmission, a serious brake related issue, vehicle speed sensor malfunction, hub bearing failure which has built in speed sensors, the only way to accurately diagnose this type issue, unfortunately is a live data scanner capable of accessing the ABS sensor readings in real time, not a code reader, this type of scanner is only available at dealerships and high end repair facilities, parts changing to diagnose is not an option because the components involved are very pricey and require programming once installed. I know this is not the answer you hoped for and is also bad news, please do not shoot the messenger. Please accept my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.