Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

I have a 2007 Lincoln towncar and I'm replacing the

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Lincoln towncar and I'm replacing the evaporator however the ac lines going to the evaporator have connections I'm having trouble with how to disconnect them and reconnect to the new one.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 months ago.

What are you using to disconnect the lines?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've included a picture, I don't know what to use to disconnect them

You have to use a tool like this one.

Most auto parts stores like auto zone have a tool loaned program. You have to pay a deposit for the tool, but when you take them back you get you r money back.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will that install them also?

To install the lines back on, just coat the orings on the end of the line with pag 150 oil ' The ac oil that you should use in the system' and the line just slides into the ports of the evap core and will click when they are fully seated. You do not need a tool to put the lines back on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
once I replace the evaporator do I need to do anything before charging the system with the cans from the store?

Did the system work, but just leak?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it was working but started getting warm then I noticed the compressor was not working so I added refigerant and it started working but could hear the hissing and smell it.I just replaced the evaporator and charged the system and it's blowing warm even though the compressor is on. With the can gauge on it its reading 35 psi with the compressor on, the small line is no longer cold it was at the very beginning

What is the high side reading?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't have a gauge for that side

To be able to see for sure what is going on you will need to get an ac gauge set so we can see both readings. A set at most auto parts stores will run you under $40.

Did you pull a vacuum on the system before you recharged it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, how would I pull a vacuum?

You have to use a vacuum pump. You may be able to rent one from your local auto parts store, but you need to get the gauge set first so we can see what is going on. I have to know what the high side readings are so I know what the system is doing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I assume that air might be in the system since I opened it so I guess it would need to be vacuumed before I charge it then
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was working prior

Did you install a new oriface tube into the evap core?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just changed the evaporator

Do you still have the old evap core? Look in the smaller line and see if there is a plastic piece sticking in the center of it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it's still in the old one

You may not be one in the new one. The high side pressure would tell me if there is.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can check it, if not should I take it out and put it in the new one?

You would have to drain the freon out to be able to check it. If there is not one in it, then you need to get a new one.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I installed the tube and vacuumed the system (20-30 minutes), charged the system and its not cooling like it should...I included a picture of the readings
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It works but its struggling to cool

The high side readings are a bit low. I hate to say it but I do not believe that the compressor is creating enough pressure. The high side readings should be around 250. How much oil have you added to the system?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
One of the very small cans you get at the store

Was it an 8 oz can?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yea probably was it was a little smaller than the 12oz can

If you rev the engine up to about 1500 rpms what are the readings?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The high side just bounces a lot but pretty much stays where it is in the picture, low side goes up because the compressor kicks off when you rev it

If the high side is bouncing then the compressor has a bad reed valve in it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Replace the compressor?

Yes I hate to say it but it does need to be replaced. You should also flush the whole system, replace the oriface tube again. I would use pag 150 in the system for the oil, and the whole system only uses 8 oz, 4 in the compressor and 4 in the evap core. Do not use the oil i the can you connect to the gauges, get a bottle that you can pour into the evap and compressor.

You will also need to replace the dryer.