Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier,
Experience:  Owner/Technician at Max Air Mobile
83572702

My 2007 Lincoln TownCar a/c gets warm under any amount of

Customer Question

My 2007 Lincoln TownCar a/c gets warm under any amount of acceleration then gets cold shortly after. Once you come to an idle it also gets warm but comes back shortly after, the system seems to have enough refrigerant. This day it got warm and never recovered and is constantly warm but the a/c compressor is on all the time when the a/c is turned on and also all I could smell for a while was refrigerant inside and outside the car
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Kevin Bourcier replied 9 months ago.

hello , I can assist you with this

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Great because I feel like all I'm getting is heat from the engine it's that hot
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Any ideas

okay you need to look at the heater hoses near the firewall . do you see a valve on one of the hoses ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No there is no valve

when the engine is running and the A/C is on MAX fan on HIGH . does the large A/C pipe at the firewall get COLD ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's not but I just noticed the compressor is no longer on

okay . do you see the switch on the accumulator tank ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

can you disconnect it and jumper the plug with the car running , A/C on Max

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I jumped the plug and the compressor came on but the hose is still not cold and there is also a hissing sound coming from the firewall area near the evaporator and There is still a strong smell of refrigerant
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I also found these wires rubbing on the valve cover, not sure if any are related to the a/c or heater system

it sounds like you have blown the evaporator coil . you need to have the system pressure tested with nitrigen . Either the evaporator coil or a hose , but if you smelling refrigerant inside the car count on it being a ruptured evaporator . Thanks for using Just Answer . If you feel inclined I would greatly appreciate you leaving me a positive rating as it greatly helps me . :-) Sincerely ***** ***** .

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just added refrigerant and it started getting cold however once it gets to about 30psi it starts to drop rapidly

yes . You have a major leak . Evaporator coil I would suggest . Have a shop pressure test it with Nitrogen as it is safe and less expensive than refrigerant .