Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Lincoln Technician
Experience:  Lincoln Senior Master
9600325

Light is blinking and hard shift, overdrive light it just

Customer Question

light is blinking and hard shift
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: overdrive light it just blinks not all the time.
JA: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?
Customer: 2001 navagator
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I got this code p0781
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no other than the shift the truck run good
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

P0781 is indicating the powertrain control module did not see the proper amount of rpm drop during the 1/2 shift. This code is not failure specific, that is to say it can be caused by a hydraulic leak, a sticking shift valve, a failed solenoid or any internal mechanical component that could cause a slip during the 1/2 shift. The hard shifting and intermittent o/d light flashing is due to the transmission entering a preprogrammed limp mode in effort to control slippage, i.e. higher pressure, firmer shifts.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

If you need further assistance please feel free to reply and we can continue. Otherwise please take a moment to rate my answer as you see fit. After rating, the thread is still available should you need further assistance. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Thanks,

Kenny Z