Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lincoln_vehicle_mechanic

Sorry for the delay, so I took my car to dealership to check

Customer Question

Hello Chris,
Sorry for the delay, so I took my car to dealership to check the overheating problems. After the diagnostic, what was recommended was: replace the engine cooling system coolant tank, the engine thermostat and gasket, the thermostat housing and flush the engine cooling system.
I was told that there was some leaking around these parts and recommend I fix these part before anything goes wrong.
Also was told that I need to change my water control valve to fix my problem with my AC which one side is blowing out AC and the other blowing out heat.
What do you think? Does this sounds about right? Car only overheated two times which was a very hot days.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

I am not Chris and I don't know what your previous conversation but I can tell you that the heater control valve would affect both sides and that is just one side isn't blowing ac, then it is most likely an actuator or door that isn't functioning.

As far as the overheating goes, a leak wouldn't cause the overheating unless the coolant level was low because of the leak. If the radiator core is leaking, then yes, it should be replaced. I used to work for a radiator shop years ago when they would recore radiators. If you can fix the leaks somehow just be tightening up some hose clamps or whatever then I would try just removing the thermostat for now and see if it still overheats or not. You can also boil the thermostat on the kitchen stove with a thermometer in the pot just to check while it's out to see if it was that.

I have to ask though, did they pressure test the cooling system and let you actually see these leaks? If not, rent or borrow a cooling system pressure tester and test it yourself and see if it might just be a loose clamp.

If the engine has electric cooling fans, do they come on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The fan does come on....they didn't show me the leaks, however when it ran hot I did see the where the coolant was coming from and I never saw any leaks near the middle front of the car, just near the coolant tank. My mechanic said I should change the thermostat and the housing which should solve the overheating problem.My coolant level does get low, just a few days ago I added coolant to the line marker and when I check the levels it was low again. Didn't see any leaks on the ground and I checked my head gasket which I didn't see and smoke or a milkshake color (oil mix white slim) when I took the oil cap off.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just checked on my car and there's coolant on the ground (nice size amount) looks like it's near the coolant tank.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Do you mean coolant overflow tank, like a degas bottle or the radiator itself?

perhaps you should start off with what engine this is and in what year, make, model. All I know is that it is a Lincoln.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2002 Lincoln LS V8 3.9 engine
Yes degas bottle, I see a chalk white residue near the degas bottle.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

That probably just means it's been leaking, replace that degas cap.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just checked the cap and it's on pretty tight, it's not an after market degas bottle.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have you work on any LS that had a similar problem that I'm having right now?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

I meant the degas cap was weak and leaking from the hole in the cap meaning the spring is weak, not leaking from being loose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm going to the dealership tomorrow morning and asked the mechanic to show me where the leaks are coming from. I'm trying narrow down my options1. Should I get everything fix (thermostat, replace the thermostat housing and the degas bottle
2. Or just change the degas bottle which I only see the leaks from the driver side underneath the tire which could help with the overheating problems.I have read many reviews online and truly I uncertain what's could be the actually problem. With your expertise, would you recommend your clients to replace to coolant system or just replace one auto part?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Even if the degas is leaking it shouldn't be causing the overheating until of course the coolant level drops, so if the degas bottle has some coolant in it and the engine still overheats, then the first thing to do is replace the thermostat to see if that prevents the overheating, then worry about the leaks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well I'm sure I need to change the bottle, the coolant keeps lowering. So I'll take it to the shop tomorrow morning to get everything fix and hopefully that's it. Thank you for your help and expertise.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

You are welcome and good luck and don't forget to rate me well so I get credit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Do you still need help with this or not, if not, kindly rate me well so I get credit for the time I spent which is time I could have spent on a customer who paid me.