Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln

My AC isn't cooling like it should. Yes I had the freon

Customer Question

My AC isn't cooling like it should.
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: Yes I had the freon checked and the pressures were perfect
JA: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?
Customer: 2004 Navigator
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I would like to correct the problem. It seems to be airflow related.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I checked for vacuum leaks and found none. The line on the heater value is working properly and the vacuum level seems strong.
Category: Lincoln
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I also swapped the climate control module on the dash and it made no difference.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Anyone? Anyone?
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Are you able to achieve all blower motor speeds?

Are you able to use fresh and recirculated air normal/max AC?

When changing the interior temp does it respond?

After the AC has been on for 15 minutes, give me the outside temp, inside temp, and the temp coming out of the vents, guesstimate will be fine?

Do you have the same issue running it in auto settings and when in manual settings?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Chris,Yes I can adjust the fan speed to any speed.The button for recirculate turns on when I push it but I It makes no difference.Yes if I adjust the temp up, the air gets hot.Outside temp is 94. Inside temp in the garage with garage doors open and windows down is 86. Temp coming out of front vents is 78. Temp coming out of rear vents is 86.No change in cooling using auto or manual settings.

While running AC on, open the hood and grab the AC lines at the firewall are they freezing cold?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. The low side is cool and the high side is warm.

Thanks, ***** ***** is under the hood. Both of the evaporator lines at the firewall should be condensating and be near 30-40 degrees. At outside temps of 94 you should be getting a dash vent temp near 45-55 degrees. I need you to turn the AC on max, blower speed 2 and use a stick to hold the rpms at 1500. Then tell me the high and low side pressures max to min. This will tell me if its the compressor, orifice/expansion, contaminated freon, condenser temps, or a restriction. A weak compressor is what the symptoms point to so far.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can only tell you the low side as I don't have the full guages now. At idle the low is at about 50 and drops to 25 when running at 1500 rpm.

Low side is good, the high side is what we need to be more concerned with.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't have that info.

How would you like to proceed on this concern?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you give me anything else to look at without knowing what the high side pressure is while running at 1500? One thing I forgot to mention. The other day when my wife took the Navigator to her uncle to check it... it was working. He checked the high and low side and said it was perfect. He also said it was cooling. That the low pressure ac line by the firewall was very cold. So it worked that day. Wasn't working before that and is back to not working now. Quite odd that it decided to work the day my wife took it to be checked.

As long as your aware me posting an answer without diag is just an educated guess. I would not replace anything unless diag is done. I believe in your case the compressor is weak and not able to move enough freon to adequatly cool.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How could it work one day and then stop working again then?

Debris in the system getting stuck.

Outside air temp

There are alot of things which can effect the AC system.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris