Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master certified, 30 years experience. Auto troubleshooting, electrical , ABS, SRS, EFI system

I just replaced the passenger side rear air spring and it

Customer Question

I just replaced the passenger side rear air spring and it does not appear to be in lading although the compressor is running is there a procedure that I am forgetting to do?
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: The car has 170,000 miles on it and the right rear bag sprung a leak the other day so I purchased a new one just installed it I started the car and it is not lifting although of the compressor was running
JA: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?
Customer: 2003 navigator
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just told you
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

Did you re-calibrate the air ride system after replacing the air spring?

Are there any trouble codes storing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did not and there are no indicators on the dash
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

I see, thanks. Although the system should be vented and then filled with a scan tool when working on the air suspension, and the pinpoint tests are rather lengthy before we get into all of that you may want to try this.

With the rear of the vehicle lifted up to just at the top of the suspension travel, turn the key on, (with the air ride switch on of course) and lower the jack a little at a time. That will allow the rear air springs to air up evenly and slowly so there are no problems.

See if that helps and let me know, thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK but if the car is lifted that will set the ride height sensor to tell the compressor that it is already too high therefore not engaging the compressor correct? Right now I have jackstands under the rear A-frames simulating the car being low as the wheels are touching the wheel wells but I have this like this so that I can get under it while it is running
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also when I start the car the compressor only runs for a few minutes and then turns off the wheels are still stuffed into the wheel wells. How long does it take for the airbags to inflate? And why does the compressor stop running when the ride height sensor is telling the compressor that the car is sitting way too low?
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

True, it should only take a few minutes to inflate to the proper ride height. I always allow them to fill slowly though so there is less strain on the bags and I have seen some that wouldn't go up from the lowest point of travel after an air spring was installed.

Do the sensors read the correct height on a scan tool for the rear and front suspension?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't have a scan tool I'm doing this in my garage trying to help my ex-wife I just want this thing to get off the wheel wells so she can drive out here...
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

I see, thanks. I thought that I was the only one that worked on my ex-wife's car, God bless you.

That is why I always try to fill the bags slowly by letting it down, (with the key on) in increments.

The only other way is to go through the calibration with a scan tool, thanks.

You should be able to lift the frame up some and leave the a frame(s) on the jack stands. Just be sure that the battery is fully charged, or that it doesn't go dead, I have done that a time or two.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is the pump supposed to run with just the key on? The engine doesn't need to be running?
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

Actually they say to turn the key on and shift to drive and then back to park, it would be just as good to start it up and go through the gears and back to park, thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

If that did it,

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the tests and instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it. Thanks

I do not have access to your email address,