HDGene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 year ASE Master Technician & Advanced Drivability L1 Certified Ford Senior Master Technician

A/C works but not very cold, especially whe it's hot under

Customer Question

A/C works but not very cold, especially whe it's hot under the hood. It's fine when just out of the garage even on a hot day
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: Don't know where it is.
JA: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?
Customer: 2008 MKZ
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I hope so. I have tried nothing yet. I had a volvo withe the same symptoms and recharging every two years worked
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Yes! Where is the recharge?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  HDGene replied 3 months ago.

Hello, one of two things you need to check is the operation of the cooling fans, the lincolns are known for having cooling fan issues and will usually set diagnostic trouble codes even if the check engine light is off. Of course the other thing to do is to check the freon charge See if the compressor clutch kicks off when running the ac on max acand high fan speed at 2000 rpms for 2 minutes, if it kicks off it is low on freon, if it stays on and blows warm and the fan works, you will need to check ac system pressures with a set of gauges hooked up to both the low and high side ports.

The high-pressure service gauge port valve is located on the condenser-to-evaporator line.

The low-pressure service gauge port valve is located on the TXV manifold and tube assembly.

You want to hook up to both ports with a gauge set, the low side is towards the firewall on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

Expert:  HDGene replied 3 months ago.

Hello do you need more help with this concern?