A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician

I have a 2004 Lincoln aviator, and I am trying to change the

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Lincoln aviator, and I am trying to change the cruise control switch to bring my cruise control back to life. Every thing I've seen says that the cruise control switch is a 2 wire switch. Well I have a 3 wire switch. Do you know what the part number for this switch is? the standard part number is *****
JA: Have you checked the fuse? What size is your engine?
Customer: my engine is the 4.6 v8. and I looked over the fuses but didn't see anything which was bad.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was just going to replace the cruise control switch and see if that fixed the problem
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the car is a 2004 Lincoln Aviator.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 3 months ago.

Hold off on replacing the cruise control switch. We have seen more brake pedal switch failures cause the cruise control not to work. The brake pedal switch has contacts in side it like old distributors did in the 1960s. The brake lights will work, but the cruise control disengage circuit in the switch can be shorted keeping the cruise from working.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 2 months ago.

Do you still need help with your 2004 Aviator?