Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 yrs. of experience with all makes and models. Also factory training on other models.
2921078

II HAD MY OIL CHANGED AND THE AIR FILTER CHANGED. I DROVE

Customer Question

iI HAD MY OIL CHANGED AND THE AIR FILTER CHANGED. I DROVE THE CAR ABOUT 400 MILES AND PARKED IT. THEN THE EMISSION LIGHT CAME ON AND IT STARTED MAKING A POPPING NOISE ON THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE MOTOR. THE AIR CASE WAS NOT SEALED SO I CLAMPED IT BACK DOWN AND THEN IT GOT WORSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

First, can you check and make sure the hose from the air filter lid to the throttle body is secure?
If they left the lid loose then they may have left the hose that connects it loose.

Please check this and let me know.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the hose is tight.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when i first started the car it ran great 4 about 1 minute then it started this loud popping noise, then when i tightened the clamps it poped all the time.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok

Here is what I suspect. When the lid was left loose, the cars mass air flow sensor is left exposed. The computer will do what it can to offset the readings and give you the best possible fuel mixture.

Now it created what is called a long term fuel trim. Once you got the lid tight, the fuel trim is off enough to make the car run worse. It is also possible that the air filter itself isn't allowing enough air into the system and the car is suffocating.

What I would try first is to unplug the mass air flow sensor and see if the car runs any better, if it does, the sensor itself may be damaged. If not, then I would try if possible to get the codes read and cleard.

Basically trying to reset the fuel trim back to zero so it can create a new fuel trim to run on.

IF this has anything to do with the oil change and the air filter, this would be what would have happened.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!