Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech

I have a 2003 lincoln ls and my compressor is not engaging,

Customer Question

hello i have a 2003 lincoln ls and my compressor is not engaging
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: well i check the r 134 charge and is good also check the fuses and relay and they ok
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: yes it has 180000 and it works really great but the ac never work sence i got the car last year
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: well it has freon in ir and i jump the relay and the compressor comes on
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Ronnie replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

If you install you pressure gauges and read the systems pressure with the compressor not running what are you high and low side readings?

When you turn the AC on dose the control panel light up?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay it is 125 on the hi and 115 on low
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the light for the ac comes on
Expert:  Ronnie replied 3 months ago.

Okay the pressures looks okay, lets start first with running the self test on the control panel. See the steps to do this in the link below. Post back with the results and we can work from there.

• To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTO button within two seconds. The display will show the fan speed indicator illuminating from low to high. The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What do u mean by floor buttons ?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 3 months ago.

Is you system Electronic (buttons) or manual (knobs) . It should be electronic.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it has buttons
Expert:  Ronnie replied 3 months ago.

Okay the FLOOR is the button marked FLOOR on the front of the controller that you push when you want to direct the air flow to the Floor.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well the button for the floor is the same tha changes the position for top and front also
Expert:  Ronnie replied 3 months ago.

Yes , if you follow the steps as written in the self test steps it should self test . Can you get this done?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just did the self test but i didnt see any change on the display or else
Expert:  Ronnie replied 3 months ago.

Okay if you did it correctly then that usually means the controller is bad but before you replace any parts are you able to do some testing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I belive i have done it right but let me make shure i turn the car on then press the floor and off buttons at the same time live them press and then press the auto button and let it ho of the other 2 right ?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 3 months ago.

Yes that is correct, have a look at the test steps in the link below as well as the wiring diagram and run the test steps and see if this will help your determine the cause.