Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln

I'm having an issue with the fuel deliver pump on my 2004

Customer Question

I'm having an issue with the fuel deliver pump on my 2004 Lincoln ls. The pump on the passenger side. I have power to the pump but no ground. Manually grounding turns the pump on so I know that works. No idea why it has no ground.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Hello, can you look at this diagram, locate the fule pump relay, remove it. turn key to RUN, probe the terminals the relay plugs into, I need to know how many have 12 volt

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pin 3 5 and 1 show voltage 2 and 4 do not
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

does not add up. can you look at this diagrams and change any pin 3 if possible

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pin 3 shows 12v pin 5 shows 6.5-6.7 pin 1 shows 12v only when ignition is on
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

just no matching my diagrams, I am going to opt out but,, when I do another expert should be along soon to continue helping

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer working afternoon till just after midnight.

Would you like me to try and help?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sure, not sure why the last guy quit. It for sure has 12v on pin 3 and 1 and only 6.5 or so on pin 5 pin 2 shows no voltage and pin 4 doesn't have a connector on the relay

The fuel pump gets its ground from the rear electronics module. If a scan tool shows the REM is being commanded to turn the pump on and the REM will communicate with a scan tool and has no codes then the REM is bad. You will need to check the black/red wire from the REM to confirm there is no ground signal out there as well to see if the wire is broken or not to the pump.

If you're confused on what to do now or later. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Finally got a chance to test it. On the REM I have power and ground coming from the connector with ignition on. I have power at the pump but no ground. Is there anything between the ground wire from the rem to the pump or is it just a strait line so I could run a new wire strait to the pump?

Yes you can run a new wire. Here is a diagram and one inline connector to check at as well.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
One other thing I noticed is the inurseua switch by the driver kick panel the button is always up I press down it pops right back up. I know older models it's supposed to stay down is that the case or is it supposed to do that?

As long as there is power in and power out of the switch with the key on then the switch button is correct. The button will come up really high when the switch has tripped. You can test it by hitting it with a rubber hammer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
On the sending unit there's a plastic part where 3 hoses connect, it has a hole in the top. When I manually ground it sprays gas out the hole instead of up through the feed to the engine. Will it still do that if I run a new wire from the Rem?

Is there a bro***** *****ne or fitting that it is spraying from? With power and ground to the pump, the fuel should be only spraying out the connection for the line going to the engine.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No tried it on 2 different units did the same thing. There's a small hole in the top of that part and as soon as the pump comes on it sprays out there. There isn't any wiring for it. I thought it was part of the return since the 04 has only the one fuel line.

If its not at a line or fitting then its the bypass where it blows out excess fuel since the pump needs a relief so it does not dead head the pressure and stop running.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok makes sense I'll run a new wire in the morning and see where we're at then.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris