Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln

I have a 2001 Lincoln Towncar (Cartier) that has a failed

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Lincoln Towncar (Cartier) that has a failed instrument on digital and speedometer readout. for a long time it would stay on for a few miles but now it flashes on a second and then gone. I suspected a failing relay so I purchased one and switched all identical relays one at a time, The forward relay box left side has four (4) relays, 3 identical to the new test relay, I switched one at a time, when I switched the forward inside relay and turned on the car the system went normal with all I started a test drive and 400 feet later it failed and lost all digital readout again. I have a "Haynes" manual but it is not much help. I have dismantle Jets and reassembled perfectly, but this is not clear to this engineer, but we had good wiring diagrams
I notice on Google that problem is not uncommon in these Lincoln's .
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer working afternoon till just after midnight.

The instrument cluster in your vehicle is not powered through relays nor are any of the signals it gets. If there are no warning lights on and the warning lights (check engine, and ABS) work when starting and the transmission shifts fine. That means the failure is going to be the instrument cluster.

If you're confused on what to do now or later. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris