Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Flashing anti-theft wont turn over. battery good. tried both

Customer Question

flashing anti-theft wont turn over. battery good. tried both orginal key fobs and keys. disconnected battery, still flashes
JA: Have you checked the battery in the fob? Will the car open with another remote?
Customer: both fobs unlock and lock doors ok
JA: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?
Customer: 2007 navigator
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: made sure connections were clean and good contact. disconnected the battery. tried moving steering wheel and shifter several times. going to try and fix myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: recently check engine light came on. saw that negative connection on battery had some corrision. cleaned and replaced, light went out.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lincoln Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Good morning,

Do you have a scan tool to pull trouble codes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I don't
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

That's going to make it a little tricky, but not impossible.

First, check for a blown fuse #34 in the under hood fuse box.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok. checking it now
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

If all of the fuses look ok then the only thing left to do is communicate with the theft module- we'll need a scan tool- a good scan tool- to do this.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
34 on both boxes were good. Was the one inside not "for use" and the one under hood for "trailer tow connector"
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Ok. I've seen the number #34 fuse blow from a shorted harness causing a communication problem with the PATS (security key) system. It was a long shot, but I've seen it enough to make it worth checking.

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Do you have an automotive locksmith in your area? Without a scan tool that will be the next step. We need to see if the PATS system is communicating correctly and if the keys are transmitting a strong signal.

We also need to see if the two keys that you have didn't somehow lose programming in the system.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we have a dealership and locksmith close by. one set of keys rarely get used. usually hangs on keyrack in laundry roo.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Sometimes the keys just lose programming for no reason at all. We see this fairly often. An automotive locksmith or dealer will be able to hook up a scan tool and communicate with the security system to see what is going on.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do i need to take the vehicle?
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Most locksmiths will come to you, but yes, they will need to plug into the vehicle.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

These theft systems can be such a pain when they malfunction.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

I just wanted to check whether you still need help with this issue.

Please let me know if you do. If not, please don't forget to rate so Just Answer will know to pay me for my time.